Matt Macfarland shared so many amazing books and artists! We teach for the same organization, P.S. Arts, and had met a few times at PD, but it was nice to hear more about his background and his work. I love how he weaves stories together combining truth and fiction. His “teaching chronicles” are hilariously accurate to the life of an art teacher.
I especially liked hearing how Matt uses books in his teaching to help discuss weighty topics. He talked about the power of stories to change minds and to empower those who tell them. Scroll down for his book recommendations.
Matt talked about the 3d PPE Artist Network, a national network of artists making free face shields in the covid19-era. Matt has been creating commissioned avatar/portraits with half of all proceeds going to this network and ACLU.
Matt MacFarland is a contemporary artist, cartoonist, and teacher whose ongoing graphic narrative Dark Pants follows a mysterious pair of pants through Los Angeles as they impact the lives of whomever wears them. MacFarland has also compiled his 15+ years of teaching experience into a self-published comic, The Teaching Chronicles Volume 1 and 2. His book series, My Troubles with Crumb (parts 1 and 2), documents his conflicted feelings toward his one-time artistic hero, underground cartoonist R. Crumb. Matt’s current project, 4 Seasons of Gary, collects several four-panel comic strips about his father into a makeshift memoir that documents their loving but sometimes complicated relationship.
His work has been written up in The Los Angeles Times, Comics Bulletin, Comics Grinder, Artillery, and X-tra Online. His artwork has been featured at such venues as 356 Mission Road, the Vincent Price Museum, Armory Center for the Arts, and Torrance Museum of Art, and his comics have been published in a variety of Comic anthologies, including Sliced Quarterly and Milk & Honey Comics. He received his MFA from Otis College of Art and Design in 2003 and currently serves as co-director of Elephant, an artist-run space in Glassell Park.
- @macfarlandart on Instagram
- MacFarlandArt on Patreon
- Elephant Art Space
- @3Dppeartistnetwork on Instagram
- Artist: Jacob Lawrence
- Artist: Yasumasa Morimura
- Artist: Justin Favela
- Understanding Comics by Scott McLoud
- Reading Comics by Douglas Wolk
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
- The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
- Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
- March Trilogy by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell
- My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris
- Bone #1: Out From Boneville by Jeff Smith (recommended for ages 7-11)
- Dog Man by Dav Pilkey
- The Bad Guys by Aaron Blabey
- Julián Is A Mermaid by Jessica Love
- A Gift from Papá Diego / Un Regalo de Papá Diego by Benjamin Alire Saenz, Illustrated by Geronimo Garcia
- Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix (Food Heroes) by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, June Jo Lee, Illustrated by Man One
- Life Doesn’t Frighten Me by Maya Angelou, Illustrated by Jean-Michel Basquiat